Thursday, September 29, 2011

Entry Improv



A few weekends ago, the hubs and I took a trip to Ohio with my mother-in-law to go to an outdoor antique show, called Antiques in the Woods. Despite the rain, we scored some great deals including this large trunk. I will give credit when credit is due, because the hubs scored this beauty for $25!


As soon as we put her in the car, I knew it would be the perfect coffee table. I had plans of moving our current free form wood coffee table to the window as an entry way bench with some added pillows. Blame it on my terrible math skills my delirious hope (and lack on spacial planning) that it would work, but alas it was too tall for the couches. 



After wiping away my tears, I regrouped and tried the trunk under the window. Although it wasn’t going to work as a bench to put our shoes on and such, I took it for a test run. After getting a new lamp (Marshalls, $35), hanging some quick and easy DIY curtains, and setting out some fall decorations I think she’s a keeper. The hubs actually really likes it too, which is a plus.



I am welcoming the additional light and the extra storage (we’ll use the trunk to house extra blankets, pillows and other seasonal items,) not to mention the new space for keys and mail. I am on the search for better sheers- the ones we currently have came with house and are this ugly beige color that just looks dirty no matter how clean they actually are- but for now, this will work!


Ever buy something knowing it was going to be perfect only to get it home and it's not even close to working? Did you make it work or bite the bullet and take it back to the store?


5 comments:

  1. STUNNED that you got that trunk for 20 dollars. Wow, I really need to shop where you're shopping! Love what you've done with the styling. Those curtains are fab. xo

    (new follower here!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops - I meant 25 dollars - STILL a major deal. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the trunk--I have one very similar my husbands Grandpa gave to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hubs really scored a terrific find and you created the perfect arrangement with it!

    Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation! Hope you will make this a weekly stop and thanks for the follow. I am happily your friend and follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My spacial planning is terrible. If I really love a piece, I find a place for it. Even if it is different from my original plan. Glad you were able to do the same!

    ReplyDelete