Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Literary Lamp


 One of my “labor days” project this past weekend involved updating a 3 dollar brass lamp I picked up from Goodwill last week.

$3 Goodwill brass lamp and nasty (with a capital N) shade
The lamp had a great shape and height, was heavy, and most importantly still worked! It was destined for some glossy white spray paint and a unique lampshade. First stop was the make shift garage paint booth since it decided to rain most of the weekend. (The can of white spray paint was shown a lot of love, let me tell you.)

Disclaimer: cans of spray paint were harmed in the making...sorry mother earth!
Once the base went from dirty brass to shiny white, my attention went to the shade. I ripped off the existing the material from the shade base and then looked at it for two days. I’ve been looking for a shade with a great shape to try and recreate this…

Hemp wrapped lamp shade with scalloped edges
…but haven’t had much luck, and since this shade came with the  lamp I was determined to find something great to do with it. Anyone who knows me understands my love for old books and literary classics and when I came across a paperback version of Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” for a few bucks at the thrift store, my brain gears started a-workin’.


I took a circle hole punch to the pages, grabbed my trusty glue gun and here’s what I came up with:



I’m not going to even try and pretend I don’t love this, the hubs even said that this was his favorite thing I’ve done lately (I nabbed a winner, huh?) To think this was only project of many has me boasting a proud design mama sticker and I can’t wait to keep sharing the goods with you.


3 comments:

  1. that turned out so pretty! love the creative shade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lamp looks great! Love your "paint booth", too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this lamp makes me want to do is turn it on and read Frankenstein! You did a phenomenal job Jes!

    ReplyDelete