Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Style to Fall For

Too cheesy? I agree, let's pretend the title was something super creative and call it a day, shall we?

Moving on...

Decorating your home is a great way to get into the spirit of the season or holiday, but if you’re like me and don’t have a ton of extra funds lying around and aren't a fan of over doing seasonal decor, it can be difficult. Of course going to a big named store and stocking up on their themed items can drain a bank account pretty quickly, not to mention it can start to look excessive if you’re not careful. However, with some creativity and elbow grease; you can incorporate splashes of the season spirit and keep a few bucks in your pocket. 

With Fall only two days away (September 23 is the official start of autumn,) I wanted to share with you a few quick tips and ideas for how I am getting in the mood. 
  • Wardrobe updates and revivals are my number one way to get ready for a season. Since I don't love filling my house with seasonal decorations that may or may not be in style next year, clothing is my go to seasonal mood changer! I am gravitating to neutrals with pops greens and oranges this year.



All images from Pinterest (via)
  •  Updating my front door wreath. Confession: I have had a red berry wreath on my front door since last Christmas. Ha! So it was definitely time for an update. This large anise wreath was on sale last week at Target and I though it was the perfect backdrop that I can update with ribbon and accessories as much as I please! (I already have a craft in the works that I will share soon.)
    It even smells like anise (licorice) and I love it!
    I was tempted to create this acorn wreath (via)

    • Candles. Whether they are scented (my favorite fall candles are Yankee Candles' Cranberry and Orange and Chesapeake Bay Candles' Harvest Bouquet) or unscented, candle light warms a room and add instant cozi-ness!
    (via)
    (via)

    • Pillows. Now, I'm not talking about every pillow in the house, but by swapping out or adding a few pillows in warmer colors and fabrics can give an entire room an update. Bonus- if you can sew, it can be a very inexpensive option. I especially love the cable knit sweater versions seen all over the place.
    Sweater and warm toned pillows from Pottery Barn (via)
    West Elm Origami Pillows (via)
    • Even as the air begins to turn chilly, don't neglect your outdoor space. I like to create a basket for date nights by the fire-with blankets, candles, s'more ingredients, and even some bubbly. It can make even the most simple night special.
    Fall date night essentials
    • Now don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for more simple seasonal accessories. I like using items you already have on hand, like coffee beans, leaves and twigs from outside, etc. to add some warmth to vases, bowls, and baskets around the house. I am also loving items like these yarn pumpkins, that will last year after year!
    Great tutorial by Everything Under The Moon (via)
    (via)
    (via)
    No matter how you choose to decorate and get ready for the season, remember the most important thing is that you stay true to your style. Whether getting in the spirit means switching up every item in your house or one fall themed wreath is plenty, make sure your home speaks to who you are all year round!

    How are you getting ready for fall? What are your must haves or rules for seasonal decorating? 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment